Monday, January 12, 2009

Fly things

"According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a man should be able to fly. He has no wings and his bones are too heavy to stay off the ground. The man, of course, flies anyway. Because man doesn't care what humans think is impossible."

No! I did not steal it from the Bee Movie...maybe just a little.

This is the year I want to go bungee jumping in Jinja. Why? I want to fly. It's getting tired; this pork eating bizness, and ice creaming in town. I want a new experience, I want to fly.

Flying for a minute may look vain but it is one minute...0ne, two , three, fifty nine, sixty seconds! Just free fall, the feeling of letting go.

Jinja is a wonderful place for nostalgia. The quiet as you approach the city is calming, the environ just amicable. I was there; remember when I crossed the river with her?.

I want to go back. Perhaps as a ritual. Usually defeating nostalgia needs facing it. But forget that, I am not writing about that today. I am writing about flying! And yes, men can fly.

God never gave us wings because (I posit) he gave us creativity and adrenaline. Look around you: the humiliation of Chelsea FC by Man United; Louis Hamilton at the F1 track; Usain Bolt at the 100 metres and me this December at Jinja.

December. The month where I usually grow older and think deeper. Also the month I will have saved enough dime to go bungee jumping, and it is one of the less congested months. All this hoping I will not have attended my burial by then.

This is not a bucket list. This is a fly plan.

I and my frère are less privileged than most of the people we know personally. He was set back as I was by a demon that decided to reincarnate in me and him. There was hope late last year that that demon can actually die but the costs are a tad too high. So, with that I began feeling the need to represent this thing; okay the people suffering from it.

I hate being called a sickler. It makes me feel less human than everybody else yet there is some truth in it. Take for example the fact that I was not really encouraged to get sporty because of the risks involved; I joined boarding late in life because of the same fear.

My condition made me hate a part of myself, I hated the disease and everything to do with. Tis the reason why I never felt particularly confident with her at first. In fact when she found out she was pissed off! But not because I was sick, rather because I was pity partying. The girl gave me a rebuke!

But do people understand this thing? Do people know what it means to be a minority? I do yet so vaguely. I have been to the Sickle Cell Clinic at Mulago and it brings tears to my eyes as well as questions to Abba. My mzee has somehow been able to pay the bills but the guys who go there cannot afford it.

The crises are so bad.....in the words of a singer whose name I cannot remember It's like rain made of broken glass falling heavily upon the bones.

What does this have to do with flying?

Like I said, men will fly despite the limitations. They will rise higher than the challenge and live.

I want to go bungee jumping in December to celebrate my life. Many say it is a miracle for us to live beyond twenty but looky here, I am almost fifty! Hehehe.
I should have died before, even my brother-he has been on oxygen many times but God is faithful!

Men can fly people, no matter their limitation. However, the men who fly highest are those least expected, and those are the ones who God strengthens.

So no matter what you're feeling now, how un-winged you see yourself, how lonely you are, God is able to make you fly. And this is why:

Isaiah 40:31 But those who trust in the LORD for help will find their strength renewed. They will rise on wings like eagles; they will run and not get weary; they will walk and not grow weak.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my! Thank you for sharing this - thank you so much. And I join you in thanking the Father for holding you in the palm of His hand.

((((((((Nev)))))))

Anonymous said...

Whoa. Nev. This must've taken guts to share. Just remember, your trust and faith in Abba will not be in vain. I'm going bungee jumping too, on the 26th. Would seem a lot is happening this year eh?

I like the "I posit" thing, reminds me of Walter from Fringe.

Deut 33:12 ...The beloved of the LORD shall dwell in safety by him; and the LORD shall cover him all the day long, and he shall dwell between his shoulders.

Anonymous said...

Jinja will surely do it for you.

The nerves for bungge jumping have surely eluded me, i need them. its something i surely want to do...But then.

Hey go ahead...go Fly, have Fun..

Cheers

Anonymous said...

Jinja will surely do it for you.

The nerves for bungge jumping have surely eluded me, i need them. its something i surely want to do...But then.

Hey go ahead...go Fly, have Fun..

Cheers

Unknown said...

Thanks Pete's Ma for the awesome hug...nga it's warm!!lol

King, dat verse is off the shizzle! Thanks.

Yes Normzo, I will fly!

Thanks all.

Anonymous said...

whaaat, am almost caught off guard but you know what you are healed in Jesus' name! he did it 2000 tyears ago and all you got to do is accept it and belive that it is done! amen! plus you are a conqueror borther, speak to that demon to be gone you are more than it and remember what the word of God says, you shall not die but live to declare the goodness of the Lord in the Land of the living, darling thats why you are still here, Gods wonderful miracle of love.

Unknown said...

Thanks Lulu. I believe it every day.

Anonymous said...

Aww sweetie, u'r enot less of a human.

I honestly dunno what to say Nev.

Unknown said...

It's okay not to say anything Miss.

Emi's said...

May be I should copy your enthusiasm, Fly...hmmm That would certainly do a great deal of good

Unknown said...

Emi make sure you have wings...

Ugandan girl said...

you have just demonstrated Philipians 4:4-8...

xx