Tuesday, December 23, 2008

True Love's Form (poem)

True Love's Form
Joel Ntwatwa
-------------------------------------------


Put your heart where my eyes can see,
Lay bare all your soul to me.
Can I steal a glance into your thoughts?
Can I be sure your love's not a plot?

Where is friendship without gain?
Where was beauty seen in what was plain?
Love seems easy to do
When there's something to gain from you.

Words are always easy to say
When the chest is empty and the heart's away,
The promises that seemed to weigh
Turn from golden array to old and grey.

So will a real friend please stand up?
Someone who didn't regard you as the X on a treasure map?
Will a person tell me then
That they began to love
Without expecting gain?

Could somebody finally say
That they loved you indeed?
Not because of a thing they sensed
That made you smell like frankincense?

That even though you were short and stout or tall and thin,
Arrogant, irritable or gentle and meek
they loved you with no trophy to seek?
SO LORD
Make our eyes see what love is meant to be,
A lender that forgets the debtor
A giver that gives with heart not head.

--------------------------------

Love is my message to all of us this Christmas.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Red Christmas Boots!!

Anonymous said...

OOOOhhhh
I like....
So now in the spirit of Christmas I share these boots with Emrys and Emi...
Merry Christmas Nev

Unknown said...

Thanks TRP, Merry Christmas to you too.

Ugandan girl said...

TRP how about me..how about me...thats not fair....I love all my friends not for what they can offer but for who they are..I do not have expectations when in comes to friendship

Ugandan girl said...

nice poem tho..merry christmas

Unknown said...

UgGal...I knew you were the one God sent. lol. Thanks for the compliment on z poem.

Emi's said...

TRP, Thanks! Now we can all cuddled up together in front of the fireplace and watch oba what?

Nev, Great Poem. Thanks, Am standing on a chair.
Love! Love like the world you've always know is going to end.

Princess said...

Always a sucker when it comes to poetry.

*Well writ, Nev.