Friday, March 23, 2012

Day 2: Blogger Challenge.Serving God and Mammon.



It wasn't funny, or was it? I mean that thing I did yesterday, when you asked me the five ways to win my heart?  Lol, I'm sorry, I know you wanted a serious answer but I did give one. Trust me.

Anyway, I continue on this challenge today.

I will write about something I feel strongly about now.



You see, I have conflicts with bandwagons. Albeit this challenge can also be called a bandwagon, but I will let this slide. Usually, my heart initially has this thing they call conviction. Others might call it conscience, or that still small voice. I hope you agree with me that conviction is not always a thing which ministers peace. No, it doesn't.

In a world where there are many opinions and voices, the conviction has it's own voice too, usually distinct from others. And when it speaks; conflict. Not that my conviction will always disagree but on many occasions it does.

When persuaded to do something against one's conviction or conscience, a quiet battle enrages inside me. It is not immediately visible on the outside but the more you prod and ask and talk, you would know there is a conflict.

I hate bandwagons. I hate having to conform to a standard I do not believe in on account of myself. I hate having to go with the flow because it is the popular flow. I will share an example. There is a popular thing these days going around especially among people my age. Everyone seems to have this one thing on their mind- How do I get rich? I am not against working to earn one's dime, or about investing to keep the money coming. I am just so amused at how it seems that if I do not fall in the box of the entrepreneurs or those with the start ups, then I might as well go back to the village.

I am not against entrepreneurs or anything. I feel that in this country today, getting rich is a big deal. And most especially among the youth.

Churches are going businesscentric. Everyone is "Thinking Big". Yes, I will be reminded about the parable of the talents- invest. Make 2 become 4. 5 ten. Do not sit on it. Get ahead of the game. Get out of the ratrace. Hit the top.

Business books are selling like hot cakes. Before the street vendors were evicted, you would have noticed that there are books popular on sale. Some titles: Think Big. Rich Dad Poor Dad. Richest Man in Babylon. etc. I talk with friends and their conversations are about money. Even in the fellowships.

Don't get me wrong. I want to have money. Enough and even more than enough, the purpose of which I will not share here. I have been told how to make that money too. "give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, shall they give into your bosom. For with what measure ye mete it shall be measured to you again."

Here is my problem especially with this bandwagon and it's impact on the Church. Yes, the Church.

I am perhaps low of knowledge, but doesn't the Lord say - “No one can serve two masters; for a slave will either hate the one and love the other, or be devoted to the one and despise theother. You cannot serve God and wealth."

Also, doesn't the Word say -And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always having all sufficiency in all things,may have an abundance for every good work.."?

 Does the Word not say "Command those who are rich in this present age not to be haughty, nor to trust in uncertain kriches but in the living God, who gives us richly all things lto enjoy. 18 Let them do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to give, willing to share, 19 mstoring up for themselves a good foundation for the time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life. 1 Tim 6:17".

I am also certain Christ intimates to us Matthew 6:19-21  “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rustg consume and where thieves break in and steal; 20 but storeup for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rusthconsumes and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For whereyour treasure is, there your heart will be also. "

So where is my focus going? Everyone's getting rich. Or wants to be rich and are ready to do what it takes. But Father, what is the thing you have called me for? Isn't my heart tumultous when I know I am not doing the will of God. It might be fine that your conviction has no issue with this, perhaps God has sent you out to make that money. However, has He sent me?

 “It is not right that we should give up preaching the word of God to serve tables. " Acts 6:2 This sort of strikes a chord in me. What am I called to do?  Also "No soldier on service gets entangled in civilian pursuits, since his aim is to satisfy the one who enlisted him." 2 Tim 2:4
It is easy to be in the bandwagon. But where does God want me to be?

Pea, a friend of mine says " how to get rich: invest into eternity.  the only wealth you have here that you will carry with you into eternity is people".

So, my conviction is building up a storm inside me. What if I am not meant to be at the top with you rich people? Christ's investment was time, and his life, his returns- brethren.

I want to follow my conviction- God given conviction, not economy driven conviction. Yes, He shall supply all my needs according to His riches. I will eat the good of the land if I obey, He will add all these things if I seek first His Kingdom.

God, won't you help me follow this conviction?

There- that is what I am feeling strongly about right now.


No comments: