Monday, May 23, 2011

Go with them two miles

I don't want to sleep tonight.

I have a working day tomorrow notwithstanding.

I think the muse had plans for me tonight but must have forgotten to make up his mind along the way; and I just thought, maybe music comes from the word muse.

I like to remind myself- there is grace, and it has no greys. To remember that when it rains, all our sins are washed away. Grace is not a mystery, it is not in need of a thesis. Grace is precious like gold, yet common like the airtime vendor. Nothing complex about it yet it is very comprehensive....all our sins are washed away.

Well, when the grace of God is in your life, you realise quickly that you've been given a get out of jail free card and some others to give out. Isn't it strange when we fail to do the same for others, when we fail to mete out the grace poured upon us to others? Claiming how incredulous people can be yet that's what the "accuser" is always telling God about us?

I can be dumb. Allow me to express myself though, hoping to emulate King David in his sincerity.

I never thought I'd ever be stood up, at least since 2007. I thought I had a good understanding with the people I connect with in that if anything happens maybe I will get a call to warn me about the danger of being stood up. For example, if I am running late, be told so.

I did not think it too much to ask since I like to be the one keeping time most of the time, and since I have learned to wait. I once had to wait close to two hours for a meeting I had been invited to to start, in those two hours none of the "inviters" had showed up!

I do not think it too much to ask for a warning.

Anyway, on this day as I get to the venue, I receive a text announcing how the other party has already left. The party cites their reason for leaving as having been there earlier and the waiter giving strange looks.

Blank stares and disbelief follows. I go an extra step and call up other party. They promptly apologise and go ahead to hang up on a call I have made... Hmmm. This time laughter ensues. I decide I will not whine or complain so I turn my attention to other things.

Today though, this thought comes up because worse than being stood up is being left on a date, with the wine glass in your hand, or worse still with the ring still in the box.

And are those not the times it calls for grace? I have my failings, I agree but they have to do with relatives... relatives can be such a test... As for those we relate with by choice, certain actions can easily cause anger, disbelief, ire, etc... So, in consideration that we have done worse to God, can't we be more gracious to others in how we react to the wrongs they do us?

Jus saying.

Baseline
You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. Matthew 5:38-41

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grace is something we all need more of. Today, I'm going to try and live out this post. Thanks, Nev!

Unknown said...

God speed Tipsy.