Saturday, August 07, 2010

Routine Rejection and Switchfoot

My eyes wide open, I've got my eyes wide open, I've been keeping my hopes unbroken....

Those are words from Switchfoot's Your Love Is A Song. Ever since I got their album [Hello Hurricane], I have been feeding on it. I personally believe there is no greater rock band in the world than Switchfoot. The lyrics and clever instruments always gets me whether I am down or up or on the way up.

In a past life I think I was in Switchfoot. Anyway, there are times when the words they speak directly touch my circumstances and give me reason to keep trusting [GOD] and keep pushing forward.

"I've been keeping my hopes unbroken."

You know how easy it is to throw your hopes to the wind when things keep falling apart? It is this easy. Repetitive unsuccessful attempts have a way of drying up a man's resolve and making him soulless. There's a way such situations harden the heart. There's this song called Ononsonyiwa by Jamal which talks of how his behaviour has been affected by past hurts in love.

Naturally, that should be the case; hope keeps fading. However Switchfoot and I agree, it is always noble to "keep your hopes unbroken", regardless how many failures or how long it takes for you to see something come alive!

As a matter of fact, even the Apprentice according to his daughter advises, Don’t take no for an answer and Be annoyingly persistent when you want something.

Keep your hopes unbroken. No matter how many rejection letters you receive, no matter how many times girls say no to you, no matter, no matter, no matter.....


Hello hurricane, you're not enough
Hello hurricane, you can't silence my love
I've got doors and windows boarded up
All your dead end fury is not enough
You can't silence my love, my love


What do you usually do when storms come? Cower? Hide? Run? Scream? Some times in life, challenges befall us like hurricanes and the very core of our soul comes to a point of despair.

Loss? Rejection? Failure? etc? How do you prepare to face life's hurricanes? Love. Love at the core. Consider Rom 8:35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? Rom 8:39 nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

There is a another stanza that rocks concerning this same thing:

Every thing I have I count as loss
Everything I have is stripped away
Before I started building I counted up these costs
There's nothing left for you to take away


Contentment. Faith. Purpose. If you know you have purpose, and you live it with faith, nothing can stop you because you find contentment in the perfect power of God who is able to do all things. These Switchfoot guys know how to share the Word. I love it so much.

Hallelujah, every breath is a second chance, yeah

Yes, another Switchfoot line. Every breath is a second chance. Another chance to dust yourself and keep pursuing God, keep pursuing life, keep pursuing peace, keep pursuing truth, keep pursuing love.

In my life, one can say I have gone through routine rejection all my life. Normally the response should be negative, you know, the things you hear in love songs about how people have given up on love, or are going to break hearts etc, such stupid stuff.

I am not saying there is no pain involved, there is pain. That pain pains! LOL. However, it helps to think, put things in perspective, trust God and just know all things work for the good of those who love the Lord.

Whoah!! You are reading this and you do not know the LORD? Eph 2:8 For by grace you are saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God,
Eph 2:9 not of works, lest anyone should boast. Just come. Forget trying to earn salvation, it is impossible. Just do the 3:16, believe in Christ Jesus and start your journey.

Well, it is only appropriate I finish with Switchfoot,

And I fall in love
With the ones that run me through
When all along all I need is you


nowplaying: Always [Switchfoot]

5 comments:

~ScotchBiscuits~ said...

I strongly suspect that you will love Kerrie Robert's song No Matter What. (it's pop...not rock-but you should give it a chance)
Happy Weekend!

Unknown said...

Scotch~, been a while!! Thanks for the song, it's not half bad.


-No matter what, I’m gonna love You, no matter what I’m gonna need You, I know You can find a way to keep me from the pain but if not, I’ll trust you, no matter what, no matter what.

Anything I don’t have You can give it to me, but it’s ok if You don’t, I’m not here for those things, the touch of Your love is enough on its own, no matter what I still love You and I’m gona need You -

Thanks Scotch~ Great weekend too.

Heaven! said...

How much more could we be on the same page?!

Now, let me try this Switchfoot awesomeness!

Unknown said...

Amazima, that music should get me flying one of these days...

lol.

Lady sinister said...

Such optimism. Very hard to keep up when the pain is paining particularly painfully.hehehe
Try Alterbridge. They're vahree vahree good.