Sunday, June 19, 2011

I am Your Everyday Academic -Emotional Christian

I am an Academic -Emotional Christian. I am far from the Spiritual, Faith part of this walk.

I am moved by the Word of God, yes. I am moved by the Word of God only to the point of saying "wow", or "amen" or "this is so true", or "My God". Sure it moves me but not to the point where I actually want to make a difference:Where I know it is true but will not take the effort to make a change.
I am moved by the word of God. I am moved by the word of God but only through television, and in the e-mail devotional, Oh yes even on radio broadcasts. I catch snacks instead of "man shall not live by bread alone but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God" I limit the effect of God's word by demeaning it's importance in my life. I never have time for meditation, for study, for prayer, but have enough time for facebook, tetris, cards and FIFA10... I know, I've heard guys saying this before, but it's just no longer appealing.

I am able to recite John 3:16 , Jeremiah 29:11, Philippians 4:6,7, 1 Cor 2:9 but never willing to go further to John 3:17, 18, 19 , 20; Jeremiah 29:11 onto 18 and 19; Philippians 4:8 and 9; 1 Cor 2:8. I prefer what is emotionally appealing.

I am emotionally living and not living by faith. I love to not judge, but am quiet on correcting and discipline. I am quick to be "inclusive" at the expense of holiness and justice.

I am going to be held accountable for loving someone so right yet not enough to lead them to the cross. I think I will hurt their feelings by telling them God does not approve of how they live their life. I am scared of being called unloving, politically incorrect, unfeeling, inhuman, selfish, close-minded if I tell it like it is.

I am glad when I hear feel-good Christian music but when it gets preachy, I lower the volume. I dance at God is enough-Lecrae but slightly turn away when they play After the music stops by the same man. I am wary of reproof but rejoice at encouragement.

Yeah I love the Lord, I know he understands my addiction, my passion, my habit. I guess if He saw fit since He is sovereign to give me this "thorn", then He will take it away Himself. I am okay with how I am. I won't be bothered to grow in discipline after all He can take it away, His grace is sufficient. I have relegated the need to grow to the need to be accepted, the need to feel okay

I am academic, I know what's in the Bible, and I am emotional, I love to feel good inside. But going further addressing the spiritual?

Baseline:
12 For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the first principles of the oracles of God; and you have come to need milk and not solid food. 13 For everyone who partakes only of milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, for he is a babe. 14 But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil. Hebrews 5. NKJV

John 6:63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life. NKJV

6 For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Romans 8. NKJV


2 comments:

Ugandan girl said...

Oddly enough..Joyce meyer was talking about the very same thing in her teaching; guard your heart here;

http://www.joycemeyer.org/BroadcastHome.aspx?video=Guard_Your_Heart_-_Pt_1_-_VIEWERS%E2%80%99_CHOICE_#2

petesmama said...

Hmmm. Food for thought.