Monday, June 01, 2009

Gideonic reflection

Were you one of those people who at one time during your school time was blessed to receive a free copy of the Gideon New Testament Bible? The one with the blue cover and hard Psalms and Proverbs? Well I was one of those people, though somehow I do not know where I kept misplacing them. Anyway, yesterday I was going through some old boxes and found one that belonged to my cousin. I do not know the last time I had ever set eyes on those words but when I set eyes on them, I felt a deep guilt over how I use the Bible and how far I've been from what they say. I know I am not condemned but something in me woke up.

One of the first things you see when you open it is a map of the continents and a verse below it saying
"Righteousness exalts a nation,
but sin is a reproach to any people.
- Proverbs 14:34"


When I think about how the world has generally abandoned morality (myself included) and how righteousness is not fashionable, surely it is proof many of us us have forgotten the word of God and stopped reading it.

The text that stands out after that is how God's word is described.

"The Bible contains the mind of God, the state of man, the way of salvation, the doom of sinners, and the happiness of believers. Its doctrines are holy, its precepts are binding, its histories are true, and its decisions are immutable. Read it to be wise, believe it to be safe, and practice it to be holy. It contains light to direct you, food to support you, and comfort to cheer you.

It is the traveler's map, the pilgrim's staff, the pilot's compass, the soldier's sword, and the Christian's charter. Here Paradise is restored, heaven opened,and the gates of hell disclosed.

CHRIST is its grand subject, our good the design, and the glory of God its end.

It should fill the memory, rule the heart and guide the feet. Read it slowly, frequently, and prayerfully. It is a mine of wealth, a paradise of glory, and a river of pleasure. It is given you in life, will be opened at the judgement, and be remembered forever. It involves the highest responsibility, will reward the greatest labour, and will condemn all who trifle with its sacred contents."



I had overlooked the small size of this Gideon Bible but it is so portable, it is readable anywhere. Of course it is New Testament only but the tremendous treasure in it is invaluable.

I decided to keep it with me and open its pages as prescribed, so that no idleness will exist when tis near me and hopefully by His Grace, I will rejoice in the Righteousness of Christ given to me, that it so richly speaks of.

Do you have your Gideon? More importantly, have we read our Bible(s) today?

God bless.

6 comments:

Princess said...

Oba where did I leave mine? It is probably in my old school trunk...

lulu said...

i was one of them, i kept mine till i think the rain beat it when i left it by mistake somewhere, but man...you have awakened something in me too

petesmama said...

Got my first in P4. Dunno where it is now. Talk about powerful things coming in small packages.

Unknown said...

i definitely remember getting one but not sure what happened to it...

normzo™ said...

Hmm, i remember those small blue bibles....and surely must have gotten one of those....

But like many others, i wonder where it could now

Sleek said...

ima look for mine...