Wednesday, January 07, 2009

The Picture

This is a piece about a girl.
~

I watch closely as she skips from one end of the compound to another. Like a light bulb, her smile is ever switched on. When she has no one to talk to- she simply sits on the verandah, knocks her knees and places her right elbow on her right thigh.

However, like a piece of lost treasure, the nearest person jumps for her attention and she never turns a friendly face away. She is like an angel, petite and joyful.

I try to put my head down in an attempt to sleep, but her picture on the side of my bed keeps my mind alert and stern. Her eyes stare back at mine, like brown pearls swimming in a pool of milk.

I attempt once more to close my eyes, but my closed eyelids spring once more to life, to catch another glimpse of her smile, like an arch of stars in the dawn of the morning.

This time I dare not to fight it. I muse at the smoothness of her skin, velvet in light brown.

Her stance is elegant and steady like a doe in the green serenity of a forest. her feet are small and shapely, in shoes that liken her to a princess.

The red flowers in the background fade out, as her beauty overwhelms my senses. The hanging lamps behind her look like lanterns in comparison to her pose. She is the highlight of the painting; the picture in the picture.

My heart beats a bit faster as I look at the picture again. Her earrings like little pearls on a bronze arch maker her glow brighter than before.

She calls for remembrance each time I look away but I have to remind myself that tomorrow yet comes my way.

So I look at the picture one last time tonight; prepare to say a prayer and then rest my enchanted head down.
***


Word for the day:
Blessed is the man
who walks not in the counsel of the wicked,
nor stands in the way of sinners,
nor sits in the seat of scoffers;
but his delight is in the law of the LORD,
and on his law he meditates day and night.
He is like a tree
planted by streams of water,
that yields its fruit in its season,
and its leaf does not wither.
In all that he does, he prospers.
Psalm 1:1-3


Be blessed.

12 comments:

Emi's said...

Socks..just before I head for slumber...sweet

Anonymous said...

hmmm...((speechless))

Unknown said...

TRP...shhya..say somein.

Anonymous said...

Interesting writing. The premise of the piece is a tad creepy, but the writing is good.

Unknown said...

Premise? Care to explain. All the same, thanks for the compliment. Privileged to host "greats" once in a while here.

Anonymous said...

That last verse reminded me of Fernando Ortega.

Nice piece, though I'll voice the question everyone is not asking.

Who the dame be?

Unknown said...

Fernando Ortega? He prospers in all that he does?....

Who the dame be? A girl in a picture I keep in my Bible.

Samali Mudamuli Ntikita Ntikita said...

Hmmm! This is beautiful. The description of this girl fits in with a friend of mine when she was young.

Unknown said...

Disclaimer...the first two paragraphs are totally different from the other parts of the story.

So the first two talk about an adorable kid.

The rest about a picture of a fly lady I know whose photograph I have...permitted to have of course.

Princess said...

Obsess much, Nev? :)
But the feeling is so very real, and the vivid descriptions, special.
Good 'un, mate! :-)

Anonymous said...

whoa! whip out the engagement ring already! there is no stoping you now

Anonymous said...

I am not too proud to say I have no idea what this post is about. I just liked it.